Life Affirming Nacho Cheeseless Dip from the Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Lidden This is a new cookbook to us and it is a great find! There are lots of delicious gluten free, dairy free options. This is a sample of her recipes and one that goes fabulously with the other recipe in this spring newsletter (the tortillas).
You would never know there isn’t a lick of dairy or oil hiding in this mouthwatering hot-out-of-the-oven dip! This dish is always a crowd-pleaser. It is gluten free, sugar free and dairy free.
Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour Tortillas
Prep + cooking time: 50 min
Makes: Serves 8
FOR THE CHEESE SAUCE:
- 1 cup (250 mL) raw cashews
- 1 cup (250 mL) peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons (6 mL) fine-grain sea salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon (4 mL) chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon (2 mL) onion powder
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon (1 to 2 mL) cayenne
- pepper, to taste (optional)
FOR THE DIP:
- 1 cup (250 mL) chunky marinara sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 to 3 handfuls of baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1⁄3 cup (75 mL) crushed corn chips
- 1 to 2 green onions, finely sliced, for serving
To make the Cheese Sauce
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours, or overnight if you have the time. Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- In a saucepan, place the carrots in a small saucepan and add water to cover. Bring the water to a boil and cook the carrots for 5 minutes, or until just fork-tender. Drain.
- In a blender, combine the soaked and drained cashews, cooked carrots, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne (if using), and 2⁄3 cup (150 mL) water and blend until silky smooth, adding a splash of extra water if needed. Pour the sauce into a large bowl.
To make the Dip
- Stir the marinara sauce, onion, and spinach into the Cheese Sauce until fully combined. Spoon the sauce into the prepared dish and smooth out. Sprinkle with crushed corn chips and bake for 25 to 30 min.