Since two of our family members are vegheads we tend to eat a lot of beans in our home, and a lovely pairing for beans are tortillas and greens. For this recipe which comes from Nourishing Meals (www.nourishingmeals.com) we followed their lead in using organic gluten free sprouted brown rice flour from Planet Rice, as sprouted flours are easier to digest and thus much more nutritious. You can follow this recipe or a ratio of 1 cup rice flour to 1 cup arrowroot flour.
Gluten-Free Brown Rice Flour Tortillas
Makes: about 6 tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder or tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- virgin coconut oil, for cooking
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, arrowroot, and sea salt. Add the water and mix with a wooden spoon. Knead the dough a little in the bowl, then let it rest for a few minutes while the skillet heats up. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if the dough feels too dry.
- Preheat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Divide the dough into six equal-sized balls. Place a piece of unbleached parchment paper place one of the balls in the center, cover with a second sheet of parchment, and roll & press to form a thin, round tortilla. If you are lucky enough to have a tortilla press you could use this.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the hot skillet. Gently remove the top sheet of parchment, place the tortilla into skillet, then remove the second sheet of parchment. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Repeat making tortillas with the remaining dough. Transfer the cooked tortillas to a plate and flip another plate over the top to keep the tortillas warm and soft. Let them sit for about 20 minutes inside the plates; this way they will be nice and pliable for serving.